×

John Travolta unsure he will direct again after Cannes debut

By Thomson Reuters May 19, 2026 | 1:18 PM

By Hanna Rantala

CANNES, France, May 19 (Reuters) – John Travolta, fresh from his directorial debut at the Cannes Film Festival last week, told Reuters that he ​cannot imagine stepping behind the camera again unless ‌he felt a deep passion for its subject matter.

“When people say, ‘Would you direct again?’ – I have to be passionate because it’s all-consuming, so you have to love it that much,” said the screen ‌legend, ​admitting that making “Propeller One-Way Night Coach” ⁠was at times overwhelming.

However, because ⁠of its deeply personal nature – about a young aviation fan who takes a fateful flight to Los Angeles in the golden age of flying in the 1950s ​and 1960s – he could handle it, he said.

“It was me being overwhelmed with the things I love and ⁠my family and my friends,” ⁠Travolta, an experienced pilot, said at the ​festival.

Travolta cast several of his relatives, including his daughter, Ella Bleu ​Travolta, who said watching her experienced family members ‌work on set “felt like a master class.”

Travolta, produced, financed, directed, narrated and wrote the film based on a book he published some three decades ago.

The star of hits such ⁠as “Pulp Fiction” and “Grease” was surprised with an honorary Palme d’Or prize on Friday ahead of the premiere, becoming visibly emotional as ⁠he accepted the ‌award that he said was more ⁠important to him than an Oscar.

“Propeller,” which was ​shown ‌outside the competition section, will be released ​on Apple ⁠TV on May 29.

Critics praised the film with an hour-long run time as endearing if a bit odd, with The Guardian’s critic calling it “a rather charmingly quirky and distinctively peculiar novella-sized bedtime story.”

(Reporting by Hanna Rantala and Miranda MurrayEditing ​by Nick Zieminski)