×

Pope Leo urges global action to confront Congo’s Ebola outbreak

By Thomson Reuters Aug 23, 2026 | 6:13 AM

VATICAN CITY, Aug 23 (Reuters) – Pope Leo called on Sunday for international action to help contain ​the impact of an Ebola ‌outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has so far claimed more than 2,500 lives.

The outbreak has spread rapidly ‌across ​a vast area of ⁠the central African ⁠country and is causing a record number of infections and deaths, according to United Nations officials.

“In my ​prayers, I often remember the Democratic Republic of the Congo, particularly ⁠in light of the ⁠spread of the Ebola ​epidemic, which is sadly claiming many lives,” ​the pontiff told pilgrims gathered in ‌Saint Peter’s square for his weekly Sunday prayer.

“I urge the international community to respond in a way ⁠that also involves local communities in prevention efforts to save as many lives as ⁠possible,” ‌he said.

It is Congo’s 17th ⁠Ebola epidemic, and in ​late ‌July it became the biggest ​in the ⁠country’s history in terms of confirmed cases, surpassing the previous record outbreak from 2018 to 2020.

(Reporting by Joshua McElwee and Giulio Piovaccari; Editing by ​Susan Fenton)