×

Pemex worker injured in explosion at Oaxaca refinery dies, Milenio reports

By Thomson Reuters May 13, 2026 | 5:18 AM

May 13 (Reuters) – A Pemex worker injured in an explosion at Oaxaca refinery in the ​Port of Salina Cruz ‌died on Tuesday evening, Mexican media Milenio reported on its website on Wednesday, citing confirmation from Pemex personnel ‌speaking ​anonymously.

According to medical ⁠reports, Victor Hugo ⁠López Matus suffered third-degree burns over 80% of his body during the explosion in the cooling ​tower of the Hidros II plant, Milenio said.

Pemex did ⁠not immediately respond to ⁠a Reuters request for ​comment.

Late on Monday, Pemex confirmed that ​a fire broke out in ‌a cooling tower inside the 325,000-barrel-per-day refinery, which it said had been fully extinguished.

The company ⁠added that six people were injured and taken to a hospital.

Pemex, Mexico’s state ⁠oil company, ‌was forced to ⁠partially shut down the refinery ​on ‌Monday after the fire, ​according to ⁠a source familiar with the matter and industry monitor IIR Energy.

(Reporting by Anjana Anil in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Chopra and ​Louise Heavens)