×

Brown-Forman rejects $15 billion acquisition approach from Sazerac, source says

By Thomson Reuters May 12, 2026 | 2:53 PM

By Abigail Summerville

May 12 (Reuters) – Jack Daniel’s maker Brown-Forman has rejected the $32 per share cash ​takeover offer from rival ‌Sazerac, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The rejection follows Brown-Forman ending merger talks with the French ‌spirits ​maker Pernod Ricard ⁠late last month.

American ⁠spirits group Sazerac, which owns brands including Corazon tequila and Svedka vodka, had emerged as a ​rival suitor to Brown-Forman amidst the talks with Pernod, ⁠and a source had ⁠said the family that ​controls the Jack Daniel’s maker favored ​a potential sale to the ‌French distiller over the proposal from Sazerac.

Sazerac’s latest $32 all-cash offer would have allowed Brown-Forman’s Class ⁠A shareholders to either take cash or roll their shares into the new ⁠company, the ‌source added.

Brown-Forman and ⁠Sazerac did not immediately respond ​to ‌Reuters requests for comment.

The ​news was ⁠first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

(Reporting by Abigail Summerville in New York and Neil J Kanatt in Bengaluru; Editing by ​Shailesh Kuber)