×

France warns of 300,000 potentially unsafe condoms

By Thomson Reuters Aug 21, 2026 | 9:45 AM

PARIS, Aug 21 (Reuters) – French anti-fraud and health agencies issued a warning on Friday against tens of thousands ​of potentially unsafe condoms sold on ‌the internet and in shops and pharmacies.

The agencies recalled about 260,000 condoms sold in pharmacies and shops after lab tests found two products ‌presented ​risks of bursting or ⁠the presence of ⁠perforations, they said in a statement.

They advised people who have used the condoms to get screened for sexually transmitted diseases ​and take a pregnancy test in case of a missed period.

The anti-fraud ⁠agency, known as DGCCRF ⁠and the health agency, DGS, ​also found 30 condom lines listed on online ​marketplaces which lack the EU conformity ‌seal or labelling in French.

Of these, about 1,000 boxes, containing more than 40,000 condoms had already been sold, the statement ⁠said. The platforms have agreed to remove the listings, the statement said.

The warning included a list ⁠of ‌brands of non-compliant condoms, including ⁠two made by Japanese company ​Okamoto ‌Industries and the brands My Lubie ​and ⁠Friday Bae by Passage du Desir.

Okamoto Industries and Passage du Desir did not immediately respond to requests by Reuters for comment.

(Reporting by Inti Landauro; editing by Ingrid Melander, ​Elaine Hardcastle)