×

NHTSA opens probe into nearly 1 million GM pickups, SUVs over engine failure concerns

By Thomson Reuters Aug 21, 2026 | 5:04 AM

Aug 21 (Reuters) – The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on ​Friday it has opened ‌a probe into 997,743 General Motors pickup trucks and SUVs over concerns related to engine ‌failure.

The ​vehicles include ⁠the Cadillac Escalade, ⁠Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Yukon, among others, from model years 2021-2026 equipped ​with GM’s L87 engines.

The auto safety regulator said ⁠it received ⁠499 complaints alleging engine ​failures despite the vehicles having ​undergone an earlier recall remedy.

GM ‌issued a recall last year to address concerns related to engine failure ⁠in the impacted L87 unit. The Detroit automaker attributed the issue ⁠to ‌a supplier.

The NHTSA ⁠said its new engineering ​analysis ‌would continue its ​investigation into ⁠post-recall engine failures and assess the effectiveness of GM’s fixes.

(Reporting by Nathan Gomes in Bengaluru; Editing by ​Shilpi Majumdar)