×

US prosecutors focus on four businesses tied to billionaire Mark Walter, WSJ reports

By Thomson Reuters Aug 17, 2026 | 7:20 AM

Aug 17 (Reuters) – U.S. federal prosecutors looking into billionaire Mark Walter’s empire are focused on four businesses that served as intermediaries between insurance companies he ​controlled, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The ‌prosecutors and the Securities and Exchange Commission are investigating whether Walter or his businesses committed fraud by concealing financial connections while borrowing billions of dollars from insurers he controls, the report ‌said, ​citing people familiar with the ⁠matter.

Walter’s holding company TWG ⁠did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment. The SEC declined to comment. Reuters could not independently verify the report.

The proceeds from the ​loans made by the insurers passed through entities purportedly controlled by the four firms under the scanner ⁠before being used to fund ⁠other Walter-linked businesses, the report said, ​adding that Walter and his businesses haven’t been accused of ​any crimes.

Walter is CEO of Guggenheim Partners, the ‌parent company of Guggenheim Securities, the firm’s brokerage, and Guggenheim Investments, its money manager.

Bloomberg News reported last week that Walter had offered to pledge his equity ⁠stake in Guggenheim Partners as part of a broader effort to raise billions of dollars in a bid to ⁠clean up loans ‌on the balance sheet of its ⁠insurance companies.

Walter also struck an agreement to ​sell ‌the Los Angeles Lakers to venture ​capitalist Joshua ⁠Kushner and former Disney CEO Bob Iger at a record $12.5 billion, Reuters reported last week, just over a year after he bought a majority stake in the NBA team.

(Reporting by Arasu Kannagi Basil in Bengaluru; Editing ​by Devika Syamnath)