×

Sherritt halts plan to dissolve Cuba nickel mining venture amid US sanctions

By Thomson Reuters May 19, 2026 | 9:08 AM

May 19 (Reuters) – Canadian miner Sherritt International said on Tuesday it would not proceed with plans to dissolve its Cuban interests, including a joint venture ​with a state-owned nickel company, reversing a decision ‌announced earlier this month after the U.S. imposed sanctions on the joint venture.

The Trump administration has laid siege to Cuba since January, enforcing a de facto fuel blockade, issuing threats of military action and ‌ramping ​up sanctions that have forced foreign ⁠businesses, including Sherritt, to flee.

• ⁠Sherritt said it would not seek approval from the Court of King’s Bench of Alberta to dissolve and disclaim its interests in Cuba, including the Moa Nickel ​SA joint venture between it and state-owned General Nickel Company S.A.

• However, the Toronto-based company said it would ⁠maintain its suspension of direct ⁠participation in joint venture activities in Cuba ​while it continues talks on how to respond to expanded U.S. ​sanctions.

• The company warned that, unless the situation ‌is resolved, it faces acute operational, financial and legal difficulties, including its ability to comply with debt covenants.

• Earlier this month, the U.S. imposed financial sanctions on a sprawling ⁠business conglomerate run by Cuba’s military and the Moa Nickel SA venture.

• The sanctions aimed to ramp up pressure on the ⁠island’s communist leaders ‌by targeting sources of foreign investment.

• ⁠Sherritt said it was also evaluating “a potential value ​preserving ‌opportunity,” but there was no assurance that ​a transaction ⁠would hieved in a timely manner.

• The Moa Nickel SA joint venture between Sherritt International and Cuba’s state-owned nickel company mines nickel and cobalt, and is a key source of Cuba’s foreign exchange.

(Reporting by Dharna Bafna in Bengaluru; Editing ​by Sahal Muhammed)