×

US DHS to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

By Thomson Reuters Feb 21, 2026 | 9:12 PM

Feb 21 (Reuters) – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport ​security checks for some travellers, the Washington ‌Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.

The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited ‌an ​agency spokesperson as saying on ⁠Saturday.

DHS began a partial ⁠shutdown last week after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.

The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS ​is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send it ⁠more money, the paper said.

The ⁠agency is “making tough but necessary workforce and ​resource decisions” and prioritizing the “general traveling population” at entry ​points, the paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi ‌Noem as saying in a statement.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

TSA’s PreCheck program allows ⁠approved passengers through a dedicated, faster security lane at U.S. airports and is designed to reduce wait times and ⁠streamline screening.

Global ‌Entry expedites U.S. customs and immigration clearance ⁠for pre‑approved, low‑risk international travelers entering ​the ‌United States.

On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered ​the Federal ⁠Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.

(Reporting by Rishabh Jaiswal in Bengaluru; Editing by William Mallard ​and Clarence Fernandez)