×

Somali child hunger crisis deepens as facilities close due to aid cuts, UNICEF says

By Thomson Reuters Aug 21, 2026 | 8:08 AM

Aug 21 (Reuters) – Nearly 1.9 million children in Somalia are expected to be malnourished this year, with the country seeing a ​32% jump in the number of children ‌admitted to facilities with severe acute malnutrition and complications, UNICEF said on Friday.

So far, 205 health and nutrition facilities have closed after unprecedented cuts to humanitarian aid, ‌the ​United Nations children’s agency said ⁠in comments delivered via ⁠video call by its spokesperson James Elder. As many as 618 health facilities could close nationwide, he said.

“Fewer facilities mean longer journeys ​for mums and their babies; longer journeys mean later treatment; later treatment means more severe ⁠illness and a greater ⁠risk of preventable death,” Elder said.

“This ​is the wrong moment to retreat. Somalia is confronting ​a worsening climate crisis – severe drought in ‌parts of the north, conflict and displacement, and, on the back of the war in Iran, rising costs for fuel and fertiliser.”

Funding to tackle ⁠acute malnutrition in parts of Somalia has dropped by more than 80% this year, Médecins Sans Frontières ⁠said earlier in ‌August, with the U.S. halting ⁠funds and other Western countries also ​cutting ‌aid.

“This all sits side-by-side a terrifying ​reality in ⁠Somalia: this year nearly 1.9 million children are projected to be affected by malnutrition, including almost half a million with severe acute malnutrition, the deadliest form,” Elder said.

(Reporting by Matthias Williams; Editing by ​Alex Richardson)