×

US awards Raytheon $22.9 billion seven-year deal to boost Tomahawk output

By Thomson Reuters Aug 17, 2026 | 7:26 AM

WASHINGTON, Aug 17 (Reuters) – The U.S. military, scrambling to rebuild depleted stocks of high-tech weaponry, on Monday said it had awarded ​RTX unit Raytheon a $22.9 billion contract to ‌dramatically boost the output of Tomahawk missiles.

The U.S. has supplied large amounts of arms to allies while also using munitions in the Iran conflict, raising concerns about ‌inventories ​of air defense and precision-guided ⁠weapons.

“We called on industry ⁠to rapidly scale up munitions output, and RTX is delivering,” Acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao said in an X post. “This landmark ​Tomahawk contract ensures our warfighters continue to have the lethal firepower they need.”

In a separate ⁠statement, Raytheon said the ⁠contract would run for seven years ​and would allow annual Tomahawk production to increase to ​more than 1,000 missiles. The company currently ‌makes just 60 a year.

The sea-launched Tomahawk, a mainstay of the Navy’s surface fleet, provides long-range precision strike capability against land targets from ships ⁠and submarines.

The formal announcement firms up a framework agreement that the U.S. military and Raytheon signed in February.

The ⁠administration of ‌President Donald Trump is brokering multi-year ⁠deals with biggest U.S. defense contractors, ​giving ‌the companies confidence to invest billions ​of dollars ⁠in new facilities and equipment.

Earlier this month the military signed deals to ramp up production of Patriot and THAAD interceptor missile parts.

(Reporting by Mike Stone and David Ljunggren; Editing by Katharine Jackson and ​David Holmes)