×

South Korea says it fired warning shots after North Korean soldiers crossed demarcation line

By Thomson Reuters Aug 15, 2026 | 10:47 PM

SEOUL, Aug 16 (Reuters) – South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said on Sunday that warning shots had been ​fired when North Korean soldiers violated ‌the military demarcation line between the countries, prompting them to return.

The Yonhap news agency reported earlier on Sunday that warning shots had ‌been ​fired last week, citing ⁠an unnamed source.

“Recently, on ⁠the Eastern Front, North Korean forces crossed the military demarcation line, prompting our military to fire warning shots according ​to operational procedures,” a JCS statement said without giving the date of ⁠the incident.

“Our military is ⁠closely monitoring North Korean movements ​while maintaining a firm military readiness posture.”

Yonhap said ​the incident was the first reported ‌violation of the military demarcation line by North Korea this year and that the soldiers were likely to have been ⁠patrolling the area when they crossed the MDL.

The North Korean embassy in Singapore did not ⁠respond immediately ‌to a request for comment.

North ⁠Korean troops violated the line ​17 ‌times last year, Yonhap said.

The ​two Koreas ⁠are technically at war after their 1950-53 war ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

(Reporting by Brenda Goh and Joyce LeeEditing by Jamie Freed and ​David Goodman)