×

US says Iran firing fewer missiles, US strikes to expand inland

By Thomson Reuters Mar 4, 2026 | 7:54 AM

By Idrees Ali, Phil Stewart, Doina Chiacu and Susan Heavey

WASHINGTON, March 4 (Reuters) – Iran is firing fewer missiles than ​it did at the start ‌of the war on Saturday, the top U.S. general said on Wednesday, as he argued Iran’s military capabilities were greatly diminished as the United ‌States ​expands its strikes inside ⁠Iran.

“We will now begin ⁠to expand inland striking progressively deeper into Iranian territory, and creating additional freedom of maneuver for US forces,” General Dan ​Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a news briefing ⁠at the Pentagon.

U.S. Defense ⁠Secretary Pete Hegseth said the United ​States was winning in its war against ​Iran, even as he lamented six U.S. ‌troops killed so far in the conflict. He added the United States would outlast Iran.

Hegseth confirmed that the U.S. military ⁠sank an Iranian warship off the coast of Sri Lanka, calling it the first sinking of ⁠an enemy ‌ship by torpedo since World ⁠War Two.

The U.S. sinking was ​first ‌reported by Reuters.

“An American submarine sunk ​an Iranian ⁠warship that thought it was safe in international waters. Instead, it was sunk by a torpedo. Quiet death,” Hegseth said.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali, Phil Stewart, Donia Chiacu and ​Michelle Nichols)