×

Motor racing-Hamilton says he forgot who he was but has re-set for new season

By Thomson Reuters Feb 21, 2026 | 10:13 AM

Feb 21 (Reuters) – Ferrari’s Lewis Hamilton has admitted he “forgot who I was” but is now excited for the new Formula One season and ready to ​go racing again.

In a defiant message posted on ‌Instagram, the seven times world champion made clear he was fully motivated again after a disappointing first season with the Italian team.

“I love this job so much and I love working with ‌my ​team and driving for the fans,” ⁠said the 41-year-old Briton, ⁠who joined Ferrari from Mercedes last year amid much initial fanfare.

“I’m incredibly lucky to be able to do what I do, and I’m excited for the season ​ahead.

“I’m re-set and refreshed. I’m not going anywhere, so stick with me. For a moment, I forgot ⁠who I was, but thanks to ⁠you and your support you’re not going ​to see that mindset again. I know what needs to ​be done. This is going to be one ‌hell of a season.”

The most successful driver in Formula One history had the worst season of his career last year, failing to get on the podium in 24 ⁠races and sounding increasingly gloomy.

Ferrari also failed to win a race in 2025 but have looked strong in testing in Bahrain ⁠this month, with ‌Hamilton’s teammate Charles Leclerc fastest in ⁠this week’s final session before the cars ​are flown ‌to Australia for the first race on ​March 8.

Andrea ⁠Stella, the boss of champions McLaren, told reporters on Friday that he saw Mercedes and Ferrari as the teams to beat.

“McLaren and Red Bull probably very similar, Ferrari and Mercedes a step ahead,” he said.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin;Editing ​by Alison Williams)